Thursday, May 28, 2009

Third Time's A Charm?

Prague is a backpacker's destination, so when people learn of my travels, the question of whether I've been to Prague often arises. Technically, yes, I've been to Prague but I haven't really seen much besides the clock tower, charles bridge, jewish cemetary and, my personal favorite, the museum of medieval torture. When I returned from my first trip there, someone asked me what I thought of the castle. My response was "castle? What castle?". Apparently, it was that big building I passed daily on my tram ride to and from the city. So, when I learned that I was being sent to Prague for the internship I just started (for an online travel portal for backpackers, feel free to check it out at rucksack.com), I was excited to see what I missed.

I came with high hopes which were, once again, quickly shattered by a bacterial infection in my throat. I arrived in Prague on a Saturday and on Sunday I awoke to find a painful lump the size of a golf ball under my throat that gave me a double chin. The rest of my time in Prague would be overshadowed by my throat, the infection had spread to my lymph nodes causing the ridiculous swelling. The rest of my time was spent either in the doctor's office, sleeping, sweating (had a fever for a couple days), writhing in pain in the common room of the hostel, or just being miserable because I had no energy to move.

For all you Prague-lovers out there, I'd love to hear what it is you love about that city so much. While during my first visit, I feel I got to know the Museum of Torture really well. This visit, I feel I got to know doctors and my hostel's common room really well.

As a final good piece of information, I did find out that since I was not able to do any of the work I was sent to do in Prague, I will be sent back there for a third time. Let's hope nothing bad happens this time...

No comments: