Thursday, October 23, 2008

I <3 New York (traffic)

As a bicyclist, I've never looked fondly upon New York traffic. After three and a half years of commuting from Brooklyn to Midtown, I would still find myself uncontrollably yelling insults at anyone who wrongs me. Well, I had never ridden in Delhi before. I have a tendency to get the most random songs stuck in my head. Every time I do something crazy, I've started to sing "Ave Maria" except instead of actually singing "Ave Maria" I replace those words with "Holy Be-jesus". Here, let's take a break. Hum the tune of "Ave Maria" but say "holy be-jesus". Kind of fun, right? Right.

Anyways, that song was going through my head during the entire ride. Delhi traffic is crazy. CRAZY. We made it safely to our new Couchsurfing hosts, Navneet and Priya, who live in South Delhi -- but not without lots of nervous laughter and stares from men. At one point, we were riding beside a man who was trailing a refrigerator on his bike.

Surprisingly, cars were reletively nice to us -- as in they yielded to us and didn't try to force us off of the road. So, if any of you Indian drivers are reading this, thank you. Oh, and if you Indian drivers are reading this, please stop staring at me, too.

I will post pictures soon. Until then, check out my flikr site here

2 comments:

Endurance101 said...

I just wanted to say i like your blog a lot, I really get a good sense of what you guys are doing there and what the experience is like.. by the way i'm no random commenter here, I am frinds with Cara and Jamey and Anthony, I did meet you once in the park when you guys were having that party.

Unknown said...

ha! this is great! i hope those indian drivers will read it and stop staring. glad they're not trying to run you off the road! i tried to holy he-jesus song and it's perfect, i can imagine the soundtrack to your crazy-indian-traffic-on-bike so well! thanks for being a good reporter to those of us back home!