Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Greetings from Organic Farm no. 1

The past 5 days have been interesting, crazy, busy, and educational. We successfully reached our farm and picked up a good amount of publicity on the way. Being white (extremely white, in my case) and on bikes with bags that stand out, we gather crowds everywhere we go, which is how we garnered the attention of the first photojournalist. Through a series of crazy events that occurred over the following two days, we picked up interviews for about 3 other newspapers and one tv news show. The news section has not yet run and we're trying to get our hands on the other papers that have covered us (they're all in Hindi).

The farm has also been very interesting and the family we are staying with has been very gracious to us. We arrived on the farm in time for a religion celebration that attracted 250,000 - 300,000 attendees and we were all seated in the FIRST ROW of our gender specific seated areas.

Cara and I got to ride a combine today that cuts down the organic rice that is grown here (among other crops) but I'm now sick from inhaling gas and dust from the machine. Besides that and a few other outing, Cara and I have mainly been restricted to the kitchen (I'm not really joking about this...more to come on that).

We should be returning to Delhi tomorrow evening and then leaving for Nepal by train on Friday (I think). There is a good chance that my posts will be less often over the next week or two.

I'll, of course, try to post updates as often as possible!

No comments: