Monday, November 24, 2008

Pokhara

Anthony arrived in Nepal a week ago and our group is now complete. We've already broken him in to the ways of our group and he seems to be adjusting well to the new culture. On his first night, we slept in close quarters on a floor in a house that had no running water and he was introduced to the squat toilet and bathrooms with no toilet paper. Way to be a trooper, Anthony.

Those details aside, our accommodations in Kathmandu were great. Our hosts, Nabin and Binod were great at showing us around town and making us feel at home in their city.

We are currently in Pokhara, Nepal. We arrived here yesterday afternoon after spending 4 days bicycling with fully loaded bikes over very mountainous terrain. We met some other fellow cyclists on the road, including a swiss couple, Andy and Adrea, who once spent two years traveling the world by bicycle and a french man Bruno, who, if I have my facts straight, has been traveling the world by bicyle for almost 2 years. The journey was tough at times but everyone did a great job at pushing through. The scenery was amazing. As I always say, I'll post pictures when I can. I'm in an internet cafe, so I'm not able to do that yet.

Tomorrow, we head for our first farm in Nepal, which we think is not too far of a ride from Pokhara. We were told that it is about an hour hike from here, which is scary because I'm worried the ride will be a steep uphill climb on a rocky path. We'll see how that goes. As for the farm, it is apparently a tea, coffee, and bee farm. I'm hoping that we'll have the oppurtunity to drink lots of tea and honey. If I were writing this blog two months ago, I'd hope for lots of coffee but I haven't drank much in the past month and the small cup and a half I had today made me sick, so I'm staying away from coffee.

We also just found out that our second farm in Nepal is located in Royal Chitwan Park, which is located in the subtropical Terai region of Nepal. The park is home to one-horned Rhinoceres, Bengal Tigers (i think) and Elephants, to name a few. I am very excited.

No comments: